ADDRESS BY HIS EXCELLENCY, SENATOR DR IFEANYI OKOWA, GOVERNOR OF DELTA STATE, AT THE OFFICIAL FLAG-OFF CEREMONY FOR THE STATE-WIDE TESTING AND ANALYSIS OF WATER PRODUCTION SOURCES IN DELTA STATE AT THE UNITY HALL, OLD GOVERNMENT HOUSE, ASABA, ON THURSDAY, 26TH_JANUARY, 2017
His Excellency, Barrister Kingsley Burutu Otuaro,
the Deputy Governor,
Hon. Speaker, Delta State House of Assembly,
My Lord, the Chief Judge of Delta State,
My Lord, the President, Customary Court of Appeal,
Hon. Members, Delta State House of Assembly,
Members of the State Executive Council,
The Secretary to the State Government,
The Head of Service,
The Chief of Staff,
The Senior Political Adviser,
The Chairman of PDP, Delta State and Chairmen of other Political Parties in the State,
Top Government Functionaries,
Your Royal Highnesses,
My Lords, Spiritual and Temporal,
Gentlemen of the Press,
Distinguished Ladies and Gentlemen.
It is my pleasure to flag-off the State Wide Testing and Analysis of all Water Production Sources in Delta State, to be done in collaboration with Emani Global Network Limited.
- The thrust of this exercise is to gather data that are essential for the development of Water Resources in the State. For a long time now, we have managed the water industry without adequate research into its development. This project is, therefore, aimed at filling this gap.
- It is a known fact that over 60 percent of Deltans depend on ground water (boreholes), whose quality may not be quite safe, for domestic, industrial or agricultural uses. This is because many chemical compounds and
disease-causing organisms are found in boreholes. Of utmost concern is our carefree way of siting boreholes close to septic tanks, household graves, and storage
tanks containing automotive gas oil, premium motor spirit and dual purpose kerosene.
- These contaminants have numerous chemical and bacteriological consequences. Their harmful effects could result in diseases such as cancer, infertility, gastrointestinal disorder, neurological disorder, and bacteriological problems like typhoid, diarrhea and cholera.
- The State Government cannot afford to ignore the obvious health implications of the consumption of unwholesome water by its people and the resultant bills our citizens spend on water borne diseases. Hence, this state-wide water testing and analysis programme will help to determine the status of the quality of our water sources, particularly of boreholes which most of us now depend on.
- More importantly, the exercise will provide the essential data for Water Resources Development in the State. Whether for domestic or industrial use, our water needs to be regularly tested and, if found wanting, treated to the standard required for Drinking Water Quality. Indeed, water experts recommend that all water boreholes must be serviced at least once a year.
- It is our belief that this project will show the health status of all water production sources in terms of its chemical and microbiological content, which will largely enable Government to advise the public and borehole owners on the health implications of the quality of water supply source at their disposal.
- We are confident that this programme will assist in the reduction of incidences of water borne-diseases that emanate from the consumption of unwholesome water, as well as help to reduce individual and public health bills in the State.
- Despite the paucity of funds at our disposal, we are determined to lay down structures and policies that will enable the provision of sustainable safe water supply in Delta State. However, the beneficiaries of this water testing exercise are expected to pay a token fee, which will be highly subsidized by the Government.
- It is my sincere hope and expectation that all Deltans cooperate with the State Government and the consultant, Emani Global Network Ltd, in the implementation of this laudable project for the benefit of all and sundry.
- Thank you for your time and attention.
- God bless us all.
Office of the Governor,